photo credit: GETA.80
Coconut oil is something you may have seen mention of a number of times recently. I first mentioned coconut oil in Eat Fat to Lose Fat where I discussed some of the fantastic features and health benefits of coconut oil. This includes increased metabolism and subsequent weight loss, its anti fungal properties that help kill candida yeast, its stability even at high temperatures unlike most other oils, long shelf life and so forth.
I’ve barely scraped the surface of the benefits of coconut oil. In fact according to the website of the Coconut Research Center, a not-for-profit organization operated by Bruce Fife, N.D, modern medical science is now confirming through published studies in medical journals an amazing array of benefits that are to be had from coconut in one form or another, including:
- Kills viruses, bacteria, fungi and yeasts.
- Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.
- Provides a nutritional source of quick energy.
- Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance.
- Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.
- Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.
- Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.
- Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes.
- Reduces problems associated with malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.
- Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth.
- Helps protect against osteoporosis.
- Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease.
- Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.
- Improves digestion and bowel function.
- Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids.
- Reduces inflammation.
- Supports tissue healing and repair.
- Supports and aids immune system function.
- Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers.
- Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease.
- Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects against heart disease.
- Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.
- Functions as a protective antioxidant.
- Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease.
- Does not deplete the body’s antioxidant reserves like other oils do.
- Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation.
- Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
- Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).
- Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.
- Dissolves kidney stones.
- Helps prevent liver disease.
- Is lower in calories than all other fats.
- Supports thyroid function.
- Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate.
- Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats.
- Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection.
- Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.
- Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin.
- Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking.
- Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots.
- Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion.
- Provides protection form damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation form the sun.
- Helps control dandruff.
- Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do.
- Has no harmful or discomforting side effects, and
- Is completely non-toxic to humans.
Phew, what a list! If that doesn’t at least spark your interest in coconut oil I don’t know what would! Balanced Existence is all about helping you with your overall wellbeing by showing you things that you are unlikely to see in the mainstream media. Balanced Existence is also about helping you take responsibility for your own wellbeing.
If this post sparked your interest in coconut oil follow the link to the Coconut Research Center and the published research studies and start reading! It is your responsibility to inform yourself so you can make your own decisions about your own health and wellbeing. Take control of your health!
Coming soon I will be talking about the specific organic coconut oil I eat, why I chose that particular brand and where you to can get your hands on it.
If you have found this article useful please consider donating. Your generosity will help me keep Balanced Existence constantly updated with new articles and information. Thank you!